Subcanvases are the canvases inside a canvas (think Russian dolls). It is useful to gather archived collaterals that are related to the main canvas so we don't lose them for reference but at the same time, the main document can be kept clean and updated. Or it can be used as subtasks or subcategories.
Here are some use case examples of subcanvases:
- When documenting a design decision, all the brainstorming process can be put into a subcanvas
- When creating a marketing email campaign, previous versions can be stored in a subcanvas
- When collaborating on the task of "Launch new landing page", one of the subcanvases can be a subtask of "Design new landing page"
- When writing up the company wiki, inside the main document of "Tools we used", a subcanvas can be "Allo"
To create a subcanvas, follow the below steps:
- Click the plus button on the toolbar on the left, and select "Canvas" (to make sure the subcanvas is created in the exact location you want, click and drag "Canvas" to the location of your liking on the canvas)
- Enter a name for your subcanvas
- Hit the "Enter" or "Return" key on your keyboard
- Double click the subcanvas to enter
- Use the breadcrumb menu at the top to find your way home.
After a subcanvas is created, you can treat it as any other element of a canvas. Drag it to another position or adjust the size, style it with different border and shadow options, or connect it with another element using arrows, etc.